Save your template and click on select Expand Widget Templates

Word Of The Day

October 05, 2009

Set your affection on things above, not in things on the earth. (Colossians 3:2). If we focus on the things of this earth, we then focus on the things that are not like God. We should focus of Christ a d what He has taught and is currently teaching through the Holy Ghost. God is more than than we can ever imagine. He is bigger than the biggest mountain that we face. Be blessed!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Confessions of a Worship Pastor

A major part of my current job description is to be a ‘worship pastor.’ It was part of the vision of our vicar to develop the musical and artistic worship of the church and he employed in part to develop this side of the church as this is my background. However, my belief is that our primary worship is to offer ourselves as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1) and this has to do with honouring God in our whole lives, and not very much to do with singing songs.

My main thoughts are that a lot of christians consider worship to be the singing of songs when they gather. The quality of worship something to do with ‘anointing’ of a worship leader’ and how good it sounds, and often (from my personal experience of feedback) how well liked the songs were. In fact, somehow I just know how to put a song list together and create an inclusive groove that we seem to like. I can immediately here someone saying, but you can’t make God show up! I know that sometimes we are more aware of the presence of God, but I often think that is just because we are looking, taking down our own barriers to the reality of His presence.

Whilst this self perpetuating system continues, I ask you, does it remain an obstacle to christians seeking to worship God in the whole of life? I’m not saying that singing songs to God is wrong, or that the sense of His presence we often feel at those times isn’t genuine. But somehow, when this is placed in a system of church I think it re-enforces a dualistic worldview.

Therefore, I really struggle with spending time developing this ministry. Taking people, whose lives are already incredibly busy, and asking them to improve on for example, our band sound. 1) Does it make any real difference to God? 2) Is it giving them a false impression of ministry – engaging in activity I struggle to see an missional in any way?

No comments:

Post a Comment